Friday, September 23, 2011

Doomsday 2012 : A different prospective !


Slowly and steadily we are heading towards Dec 21 2012… The day proclaimed by most as the day when everything will come to an end. There would be a nuclear holocaust through solar flare or Earth being hit by a meteor, Tsunamis or whatever but ultimately leading to our extinction.

But this write-up is not about Dec 21. I write this because I seriously doubt God’s intention about elimination when all the best things in the World are just coming to life. Facebook being just one of them and I have my bets that most of the Gods are already logged on to it through a closed group with their own sets of ‘comments’ and ‘likes’. It’s amazing to see how facebook has grown in the past few years, to the extent that you are what your profile says. I realized this when one of my friends updated his status to ‘married’ and got more likes and comments than he would have got years back when he was actually getting married. I wonder if we’ll be considered existing if we are not on facebook in the coming years! Well, this is the power facebook is showing and in a way or two it has taught us what most moral science classes in convent schools couldn’t… Sharing!

Recently, on a trip to Delhi/Gurgaon I found myself over powered with a system called GPS! What an amazing thing! The first time I was instructing the auto-guy where to take the next turn and that too in a city like Delhi and a place never visited before. I felt like having in charge of one of those gadgets which I come across on cartoon network, sitting reluctantly watching Ben 10 beside my nephew Shashank… (No issues, as I take it as a training for the coming years). GPS amazes me and it would amaze anyone on the wheels been driven by a female voice with no objection from your wife beside. That’s not all. Sitting along with my friend Ashish and his over enthusiastic team, a crazy techo-freak, who has developed commercially available software for his own GPS security system Find n Secure, once showed me the possibilities of this amazing technology. Controlling your vehicle while sitting in your office, switching it off, playing with the horn, knowing where your vehicle went in the past week, where it is in real time are just some of them ! Just imagine when all vehicles are equipped with this gadget… we’ll know precisely which route to take to avoid traffic, policing the vehicles would be like child’s play. You over speed and automatically you are fined. (For sure you’ll get a status update on facebook). These and much more leaving us in a trouble when our professors would shout and say, “Get Lost!” and you knew "How?"

Cloud Computing! Short name but amazing possibilities! This is something I can vouch for as I myself use it daily for my practice management tool, Practo. For those who are unaware or for that Uncle whose video was circulating on Facebook few days back, I’ll briefly tell you that cloud computing is a way of computing in which all you need is a device to log on to net. All your data is stacked somewhere in some of the hard-disks of the world, ready for you when you need it and where ever you need it. Having worked on it, I’ll say this is something which is going to change the World in the coming days. It has already started. I could place my appointments sitting there in Bangalore or Delhi. For patients, there are sites where you can upload all your health records and travel trouble free. May be in the days to come, we won’t need to download or install a software but rather work directly through this cloud computing. Shunting of bags from school to home and back would see an end and so would all the storage media. Just waiting to see such a change!

The recent movement by Anna Hazzare and the impact it generated has instilled new hopes among all of us who sincerely dream of a better system. Personally I am not very hopeful about the final success of the movement and if such a system comes into existence, eradicating corruption, because I feel that that in our country everything has a “Jugaad” (Alternate way). Well, leaving this endless debate apart….the silver lining in the dark cloud was Team Anna. It makes us think apart from the never ending negatives, that there are people, still, with high credentials, ready to give up everything to lead us. If not the facebook or GPS, even God would be pondering to extend the date for the sake of the success of this movement and these individuals.

Wiki…..leaks! And they still haven’t found a proper diaper to contain it… though they tried their best. It’s an organization aiming for higher or complete transparency of the Governments. Haven’t achieved anything substantial yet here in India, except for the Mayawati controversy and ‘God-knows-if-true’ the Swiss bank list. But for sure, it has registered a place in the minds of all the diplomats, who must be now on their toes while on their so called secured line. I really wish this organization grows stronger but still remains truthful.

And how can the World end without Sachin completing his 100th ton? I sincerely hope that by the time I post this blog, it happens but I’m sure the world has to wait a little longer.

I wish that if Earth is to be ‘hanged’ by the end of next year and there is a pending case going on… let the case be transferred to one of the Indian Courts… and if that happens I’ll without any fear, start my planning for the next 50 years or more….and hope to see all the good things coming to life. A country which hasn’t been able come to terms with ruthless life-takers would need million of years deciding the fate of billion of small time sinners like me!

Till next time!

Keep Smiling!

2 comments:

  1. Very interestingly written Dr.Arvind... I admire you for your detailing & observance... u need to write more often...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for appreciation!
    Creativity inspires creativity...so credit goes to you! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete